2024 AJAS Annual Program
The American Junior Academy of Sciences (AJAS) is the only US honor society recognizing America's premier high school students for outstanding scientific research. Each state's Academy of Science nominates high school students as AJAS delegates. The chosen delegates are then invited to attend the AJAS annual conference. The AJAS mission is to introduce, encourage, and accelerate pre-college students into the professional world of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Each state's Academy of Science determines the guidelines by which their AJAS delegates are chosen. In many cases, the Academy of Science organizes a Junior Academy of Science. Under the direction of the Junior Academy, a statewide scientific research competition is held.
The winners of these competitions are nominated to represent their state at the AJAS conference. Interested students and mentors should contact their state Academy of Science for information on how to get involved.
AJAS meets annually in conjunction with the American Association for the Advancement of Science’s (AAAS) annual meeting. AAAS is the largest scientific organization in the world and the publisher of Science. AAAS serves as an authoritative source for information on the latest developments in science and bridges gaps among scientists, policy-makers and the public to advance science and science education.
During the conference, AJAS delegates:
- tour local institutions of scientific importance,
- share their research with their peers and with other scientists,
- participate in interactive laboratory experiences
- attend conference sessions
- gain exposure to cutting edge technology,
- meet world-renowned scientists,
- participate in field trips, plenary lectures, and small group meetings
AJAS is very unique because it is not a competition, rather it is a conference that celebrates student success by introducing them to the social, cultural, intellectual, and professional aspects of STEM professions. AJAS is a program of the National Association of the Academics of Science (NAAS). NAAS is the national organization for the state science academies and is an affiliate member of AAAS.
2024 NAAS/AJAS Program
The detailed AJAS program will be available in early 2024. An overview is listed below to help you plan your travel to Denver!
In-person events in Denver, CO.: Feb. 14 to 17, 2024
Note: No Virtual events will be conducted for this conference
Wednesday, February 14
Wednesday, February 14
- Registration, Hilton Denver City Center 2:00-5:00pm
- Opening Reception and Keynote Speaker, Hilton Denver City Center 6:30pm
Thursday, February 15
- Denver Museum of Nature & Science Tour 10:00am-3:00pm
- Delegates can alternately take metro to the AAAS conference for the plenary and scientific sessions. Lunch on your own.
- AAAS Annual Meeting Plenary Session Afternoon/Evening
Friday, February 16
- AAAS Plenary Sessions and Workshops Morning
- Banquet and Tours at the Denver Aquarium 2:00pm (Bus pick-up)
Saturday, February 17
- Breakfast with Scientists, Hilton Denver City Center 8:00-10:00 am
- AJAS Poster Session, AAAS Convention Center Expo Hall Afternoon
Sunday, February 18
- NAAS Board Meeting Morning
- Depart Denver Morning
In-person Travel and Arrival information
Those traveling to the in-person event should plan to arrive in Denver, Colorado, by early afternoon on Feb. 14, 2024 (Wed). If arriving by air a Denver Regional Transportation District train ride to Union Station, and then a free bus, is can provide transportation to the hotel https://www.rtd-denver.com/services/rail/rail-system-map .
Conference registration is at the Hilton Denver City Center, on Feb. 14, 2024 (Wed), between 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm. Conference events start shortly thereafter in the Denver conference room, downstairs.
Plan to depart Denver, CO starting on the morning of Feb 18, 2024. A late Saturday evening departure is also possible.
Be aware that the AAAS Annual Meeting is held from Thursday, February 15, 2024 through Saturday, February 17, 2024 (one day shorter than previous years) and its many events are available for all NAAS-AJAS delegates with deluxe access (which includes all AJAS Student Delegates). https://meetings.aaas.org/