Current Job Openings
We're hiring! Current Job Openings with NAAS
Executive Director for the National Association of Academies of Science
The National Association of Academies of Science (NAAS) is hiring an Executive Director to lead the organization’s implementation of its strategic plan, with responsibility for the administration and conduct of the business affairs of the NAAS. NAAS is a private, nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide for the promotion through mutual cooperation the common aims and purposes of the several state and municipal academies, and to sponsor the American Junior Academy of Science (AJAS). Per the approval of the NAAS Governing Board in June 2022, the organization’s four major strategic goals are to: improve communication, foster collaborations, and develop resources for state and regional academies of science; actively engage and build formal partnerships with like-minded and complementary organizations; continue the legacy of the AJAS and promote excellence in the next generation of science and technology professionals as well as expand the accessibility to more students; and prepare for the future by modernizing governance documents and structure, building fundraising capacity, and hiring support staff.
Executive Director Job Responsibilities
The Executive Director serves as the chief executive officer of the NAAS The Executive Director shall be an employee of the NAAS and shall be appointed by and report to the NAAS Board of Directors. The Executive Director will maintain strong relations with the board, board committees, NAAS academies and members, and key partners. She/he/they will lead all aspects of the administrative and programmatic operations; ensure appropriate resources are utilized and fiscal responsibility is maintained to meet short- and long-term responsibilities established by the Board; provide leadership in shaping the culture of NAAS, setting the tone and creating an environment that promotes a professional and cooperative work environment; and maximize the effectiveness of work teams in achieving NAAS’s short-and long-range goals. She/he/they is responsible for the management and development of all staff employees and an annual budget, and is responsible for guiding the implementation of the strategic plan, programs, policies, and practices of NAAS.
Work Hours, Salary and Benefits
The position will be up to full time. NAAS operates virtually and is incorporated in Kentucky. The Executive Director may work remotely in the United States. The salary is $52,800+ benefits
Executive Director Qualifications/Skills
The ideal candidate will be a leader with appropriate experience in the management of science-related professional associations or nonprofit organizations, or within the science field. They must be visionary in terms of NAAS’s role in supporting and advancing science.
Characteristics of the ideal candidate will include:
- Experience running a non-profit, particularly one with multiple member units
- Demonstrated ability to manage an evolving and growing organization
- Experience with a membership organization and the ability to recruit and engage a diverse membership
- Demonstrated experience and track record with fundraising and creating new sources of revenue, through programs and fundraising
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Knowledge and experience in the scientific enterprise. A scientific background is desirable but not required
- Skilled in managing diverse relationships within and outside the association
- Experience reporting to and collaborating closely with a board of directors and cultivating strong working relationships with the board members
- Ability to build consensus and manage by influencing others
- Proven experience developing and implementing strategic plans
- Experience attracting strong talent, aligning teams, and managing and motivating a high-performing staff
- Proven business acumen, a results-oriented approach, and the ability to effectively manage assets
Education and Experience Requirements
A bachelor’s degree in a science or engineering field is required. An advanced degree in a science or engineering field, and/or an MBA is highly desired.
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter that summarizes your interest in this position to NAAS President Amanda Fuller, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “NAAS ED Application” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin on December 5. The position will remain open until filled.